ModRana is a flexible GPS navigation software for (not only) mobile Linux devices.
It can display many map layers, search for and manage POIs, do turn by turn navigation and much more!
Qt 5 GUI
To see more screenshots visit the screenshot gallery. :)
Instalation packages are available for:
- Maemo 5 @ N900
- Sailfish OS @ Jolla
- Android 4.0+
- Fedora (COPR)
- Installation package for MeeGo 1.2 Harmattan on the Nokia N9 and N950
There is also an universal tar archive that containts the full modRana source code. It can be used for running modRana after unpacking or other for uses such as a source tarball for packaging.
This section demonstrates the functionality of modRana.
How to enable turn-by-turn navigation with spoken directions ?
T-b-T navigation guide
How to use offline routing ?
modRana offline routing guide @ Maemo.org wiki.
Where does modRana store maps, tracklogs, POI and configuration files ?
modRana data storage article.
Donations for the modRana project are more than welcome! :)
A short quide describing how to use the various fetures provided by modRana. [work in progress]
Even thoug the main manual/guide is still work in progress, there already various separate guides/howtos for various modRana features:
The primary platforms targetted by modRana are:
- Maemo 5 on the Nokia N900
- Sailfish OS on the Jolla.
- Fedora and other standard Linux distributions
- Android 4.0+
Are you a modRana user ? Definitely check out themain modRana discussion thread at talk.maemo.org :)
ModRana also works runs in some form on the Nokia N9/N950, Openmoko Neo FreeRunner, Smart Q7, OpenPandora handheld, Nemo Mobile devices.
It is quite possible, that modRana also works on other devices, thanks to its low amount of dependencies. If you find that modRana works on your device and it is not yet listed, please let me know and I'll add it ! :)
Information about modRana development & how you can help with it. :)
Contains information of how modRana works under the hood & various development notes.
ModRana source code is hosted on Github:
Pull requests & patches are welcome ! :)
ModRana has been in development since spring 2010 and has achieved some interesting milestones, such as:
- May 21 2015 modRana flexible is finally available in the official Jolla application store for Sailfish OS! :-)
- late 2014/early2015 official modRana packages for Android become available
- autumn 2014 talk about modRana on the OpenAlt 2014 conference in Brno, preliminary modRana packages for Fedora
- spring 2014 official Sailfish OS packages
- fall 2013 work on a new Qt 5 & PyOtherSide GUI started
- early 2013 initial ports to BlackBerry 10 and Android
- fall 2012 support for offline routing & own offline routing data repository
- summer/fall 2012 modRana wins the 1st place in Maemo.org Coding Competition 2012, Updates & Development on Existing Apps category
- fall 2011 modRana wins the 2nd place in MeeGo Coding Competition 2011, Location & Navigation category
- spring 2011 new QML GUI
- summer 2010 modRana wins the 3rd place in Maemo Coding Competition 1, Location & Navigation category
Contact the developer
Hello, my name is Martin Kolman and I am currently the main modRana developer. :)
You can reach me on:
jabber: m4rtink at jabbim dot cz
email: modrana at gmail dot com